You must apply in person at one of the Nebraska State Patrol Troop Area offices or at the Criminal Identification Division of the State Patrol.

The addresses are as follows:

Criminal Identification Office –
3800 NW 12th Street, Suite A- Lincoln;
Troop A Headquarters -4411 S. 108th St. – Omaha;
Troop B Headquarters – 1401 Eisenhower Avenue – Norfolk;
Troop C Headquarters – 3431 Old Potash Highway – Grand Island;
Troop D Headquarters – 300 W. South River Road – North Platte;
Troop E Headquarters – 4500 Avenue I – Scottsbluff.

Please check with the office you are planning to visit as days and hours of availability vary.

Some offices do not always have staff available for fingerprinting and notarizing applications.

The fee for the permit is $100 for an initial permit which is good for a five year period and $50 for a renewal.

You will also be required to pay for the cost of a Conceal And Carry training course.

You will need the completed and notarized application form, proper identification, proof of training, valid proof of citizenship, proof of vision, and the permit fee. These documents are explained more in the following questions.

We suggest that you download a copy of the application form for a permit from American Conceal And Carrys website so that you can have it filled out and notarized before you come in to submit your application.

Nebraska Concealed Handgun Permit Application

You will be required to provide valid identification at the time of application consisting of a current Nebraska motor vehicle operator’s license, a Nebraska identification card issued by the Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles, or a current military identification card.

You may show compliance with the training requirement by providing either the original or a certified copy of a certificate of completion of a Handgun Training and Safety Course approved by the Nebraska State Patrol. If you are a member of the active or reserve armed forces or member of the National Guard, you may meet this requirement with documentation that you have completed handgun training within the previous three (3) years, which meets the minimum safety and training requirements for the Handgun Training and Safety Course approved by the Nebraska State Patrol.


Your handgun is not needed for the application process and carrying it concealed without a permit may be a violation of the law.

Valid proof of citizenship can be an original or certified copy of a state issued birth certificate showing birth in the United States, a copy of naturalization papers, a Certificate of Citizenship issued by the United States Immigration authorities, or a current or expired United States passport.

You may show compliance with the vision requirements by presenting a current Nebraska motor vehicle operator’s license or a current statement by a Nebraska licensed ophthalmologist or optometrist certifying that you have been tested and meet the vision requirements prescribed for a Class “O” operator’s license.

No. You must be sure of answers you provide on the application form. The Legislature has made providing false information on the application or false evidence of identity a Class IV felony.

Your permit will be valid for five years and it can be renewed for five years. The form for initial application of a permit can be used to request a renewal. You must appear in person to renew your CCW Permit.

Permit holders will not be required to retake a certified training course if their permit is renewed before it expires. Permit holders who allow their permits to expire, will be required to retake a certified training course.

You will need to go through the same process as you would if you were an initial applicant. Including, appearing in person to be fingerprinted and filling out the same initial application.

The only differences are that the fee is only $50.00, you do not need to provide proof of citizenship (since we already have it), and you do not need a new training certificate.

Applications submitted to Troop Area offices will be promptly forwarded to the Criminal Identification Division for processing. State and local records will be checked before a federal record check is requested.

If you have met all of the requirement and submitted the required documentation, the permit will be issued within 45 days after you apply.

State and federal records will be checked for all applicants. In addition, when an application for a permit to carry a concealed handgun is received by the Nebraska State Patrol, data concerning the application and a request for information will be transmitted to the Sheriff in the county of residence and the Chief of Police in the city or nearest city of residence of the applicant.

This request will be transmitted electronically whenever feasible and will ask for local records and other information having a direct bearing on whether or not the applicant meets the qualifications for a permit.

A listing of all applicants and permit holders along with pertinent information obtained in processing your application will be maintained by the Nebraska State Patrol. This information is confidential and is not a public record.

It will be made available only to any federal, state, or local law enforcement agency upon request. The Nebraska State Patrol will electronically transmit information concerning permit status to the Department of Motor Vehicles to be contained on the driver’s license abstract.

No, you are required to complete an approved training course prior to applying for a permit.

The law requires that you complete an approved training course within the three years prior to making application for a permit. However, the law also requires that an instructor must be certified by the Nebraska State Patrol to teach the course before they actually teach it.

Instructors began to seek certification in November of 2006. A course you take today from a certified instructor can be used to meet the requirements for a permit anytime within the next three years. A different rule applies to military training – see that question below.

Very few, if any, military courses cover the topics required by state statute. Military training you have had within the last three years may meet the requirements for the training course if the course meets the minimum safety and training requirements set forth in section 027 of the regulations and in section 69-2432 of the statutes.

Unlike the course required for other applicants, the military course does not need to be certified by the Nebraska State Patrol, but it must meet all of the requirements.  If you believe that a military course you have taken meets all of the requirements, submit the curriculum and evidence of successful completion to NSP for a review.

Following are examples of what you may bring with you:

• Application
• Training Certificate
• Birth Certificate
• Passport
• Driver’s License from state of residence
• Military ID
• Vision Statement if not a Nebraska resident
• Proof of address
• Copy of military orders

A number of states are currently recognizing the Nebraska permit. In order to ensure a state’s laws haven’t changed, you will need to contact the state directly to inquire about reciprocity with Nebraska’s CCW law. You will also need to check with other states if you plan to travel.

As of August 30, 2009, Nebraska will recognize CCW permits issued by those states on the below list which the Nebraska Attorney General has determined have standards equal to or greater than Nebraska. This recognition extends ONLY to persons who are NOT residents of Nebraska. This change in the law allows non-resident permit holders from the approved states to carry handguns concealed in Nebraska the same as if they held a Nebraska permit.

The following states have standards equal to or greater than the standards contained in Nebraska’s Statue;

Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota (class one permit), Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota (enhanced permit), Utah, Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming and the District of Columbia.

The following states have standards equal to or greater than the standards contained in Nebraska’s statue, but only to the extent the permit holder in that state is twenty-one (21) years of age or older.

California, Iowa,  Maine, Montana, Tennessee, Texas and West Virginia

With regard to the state of Iowa, the Iowa “non-professional” permit is recognized as meeting standards equal to or greater than those contained in Nebraska’s statute, but only to the extent the permit holder in Iowa is twenty-one (21) years of age or older. Nebraska does not recognize the Iowa “professional” permit, as it does not meet or exceed the standards in the Nebraska statute.

The state of Vermont does allow the carrying of concealed firearms within its borders, but it does not require a permit to do so. As a result there is no permit to recognize.

The following states will not be recognized at this time because the Attorney General has determined that they DO NOT have standards that are equal or greater than the standards contained in Nebraska’s statue.

Alabama, Delaware, Georgia, Indiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New York, North Dakota (class 2 permit), Pennsylvania, South Dakota (regular permit) and Washington.

Permits held by former law enforcement officers as provided by HR218 will continued to be honored.

For individuals from those states NOT recognized by the State of Nebraska, we do not object to persons bringing their weapons into the State of Nebraska while traveling through our state. We do, however ask that people transport their weapons, unloaded, encased, and inaccessible from all passengers in the vehicle.

If you no longer meet the requirements, you are obligated to turn your permit in for cancellation. If you fail to do so, a revocation proceeding can be brought against you in court which can result in a fine of up to $1,000 in addition to revocation of the permit.

Yes. Your permit must contain your current name and address to be valid. The form for initial application of a permit can be used to report a change of name or address and request a replacement permit.

If your permit is lost, stolen, or damaged, you must notify the Nebraska State Patrol within ten days and request a replacement permit. You must not carry a concealed handgun until the permit is replaced as the law requires you to have the permit in your possession at any time you carry a concealed handgun. The form for initial application of a permit can be used to request a replacement permit.

Your permit does not allow you to carry a concealed handgun in schools. Some governmental buildings are on the list of prohibited places such as buildings which contain a courtroom. Other governmental building will have partial restrictions because the prohibition is only for carrying a concealed weapon into a meeting in the building such as the governing body of a county or a meeting of the Legislature.

The restriction for the meeting will not necessarily make the rest of the building a prohibited place. The persons in charge of a building, however, could chose to post the entire building. A list of the prohibited places can be found in section 018 of the regulations or section 69-2441 in the statutes. Some of the prohibitions are for buildings or places and some are for events.

The statute simply prohibits permit holders from carrying a concealed weapon in any “building, grounds, vehicle, or sponsored activity or athletic event of any public, private, denominational or parochial elementary, vocational, or secondary school, a private postsecondary career school as defined in section 85-1603, a community college, or a public or private college, junior college, or university”. The debate on the legislation suggests that the Legislature intended to include trade schools, preschools, beauty schools, and “all types of educational enterprises”.

Although it was not defined in the statute, the floor debate in the Legislature indicates that the term “place of worship” is to be broadly construed to include a church, synagogue, mosque or other primary place of worship and is also intended to include classrooms, social halls, reading rooms, fellowship rooms, atriums, libraries, bride’s rooms, music rooms, parish hall, and other buildings on the campus of a church complex. Under certain circumstances, places of worship may authorize security guards to carry concealed handguns (see section 018 in the regulations or section 69-2441 in the statutes).

No, a sign is not required for places listed in the statute where carrying concealed handguns is prohibited. Individuals, businesses and entities can post their premises if they wish. There is no specific sign required but the Nebraska State Patrol strongly recommends that the standard sign be used for this purpose as it contains the language required by the statutes and it will be readily recognized. The recommended sign can be downloaded from the Nebraska State Patrol website on the Conceal Carry webpage. You can access the Conceal Carry webpage through the NSP homepage.

Your business should post signs at all public entrances to your building. Permit holders who visit your business do not violate the law by leaving their concealed weapon in their vehicle while visiting your business even if you post your parking lot.

Prohibited places will either be found on the list of prohibited places in the regulations at section 018 or section 69-2441 in the statutes or posted with a sign. Places found on the list are not required to post signs, but they may elect to do so to provide additional notice to permit holders and the public.

The recommended sign can be downloaded from the Nebraska State Patrol website, concealed carry page under forms/documents. There is no specific sign required but the Nebraska State Patrol strongly recommends that the standard sign be used for this purpose as it contains the language necessary and it will be readily recognized.

If you are a permit holder carrying a concealed handgun and are officially contacted by any peace officer or emergency services personnel, you must immediately inform the peace officer or emergency service personnel of the concealed handgun unless you are physically unable to do so. These individuals have the right to determine whether it is necessary to secure the handgun during the contact for the safety of any person.

If you are transported for treatment by emergency service personnel, the handgun is to be turned over to a peace officer as soon as it is feasible to do so. The peace officer will provide you with a receipt for the handgun.

A handgun purchase permit is required by Nebraska Revised Statutes §69-2403 for purchases of handguns in Nebraska. In 2010 the Legislature passed a law which exempts concealed handgun permit holders and law enforcement officers from this requirement.  A point-of- purchase check of the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) must be completed by the seller despite the exemption from the permit requirement because the purchase permit has been accepted by Federal Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) authorities in lieu of the point-of -purchase check. ATF may eventually recognize the concealed handgun permit in lieu of the point-of-purchase check because both permits require a NICS check.

Even though some of the requirements are similar, each permit is independent and all of the requirements for each type of permit must be satisfied independently. Fingerprints, photographs, or a record check completed for one permit may not be used to satisfy the requirements for the other permit.

Permits to purchase handguns are obtained from the Chief of Police or Sheriff. The permit to carry a concealed handgun is obtained from the Nebraska State Patrol.

No, a permit to purchase a handgun is not the same thing as, and does not take the place of a carry concealed handgun permit.  Permits to purchase handguns are obtained from the Chief of Police or Sheriff. The permit to carry a concealed handgun is obtained from the Nebraska State Patrol.

The existing Nebraska concealed weapons law (Nebraska Revised Statutes §28-1202) was retained in the statutes and generally prohibits the carrying of concealed weapons including handguns, bowie knife, knifes with a blade over 3 ½”, brass or iron knuckles, and any other deadly weapons. There is an exception in this law which allows the carrying of a concealed weapon by persons engaged in a lawful business, calling or employment at the time of carrying the weapon but only under circumstances which would justify a prudent person in carrying a weapon for the defense of his or her person, property, or family. Unlike the concealed handgun permit law, there are no specific limitations on the places where a concealed weapon can be carried under this provision. Persons utilizing this exception are cautioned that the place where a weapon is carried will have a bearing on the reasonableness of carrying the weapon. This exception, instead of being authority to carry, is an affirmative defense to a charge of carrying a concealed weapon – in other words, you may have to prove in court that you qualify for the exception.

The existing concealed weapons statute applies to those who do not have a concealed handgun permit. The statute also applies to those holding a concealed handgun permit if the weapon carried is NOT a handgun (I.e… bowie knife, iron knuckles, etc.). Concealed handgun permit holders must comply with all provisions of the Concealed Handgun Permit Act any time they are carrying a concealed handgun and may not carry a handgun under the provisions of Nebraska Revised Statutes § 28-1202.

No. Some states do have exceptions in their concealed handgun laws which exempt law enforcement officers or other persons from the some of the requirements for obtaining a permit. Nebraska statutes treat all persons the same and do not contain exceptions to the permit or training requirements for law enforcement officers, military members, or any other class of persons wishing to obtain a permit.

Law enforcement officers do not need a permit to carry a concealed weapon off duty. They have the same justification they have always had under the existing law as well as the benefit of a relatively new federal law.  The Law Enforcement Officer’s Safety Act of 2004 (18 USC 44, § 926B, very commonly referred to as HR218) authorizes both qualified current and retired law enforcement officers to carry concealed firearms under certain conditions notwithstanding state or local laws to the contrary. Officers or retired officers carrying firearms under this authority must meet firearms qualification standards and carry certain documentation.

This federal authorization does not supersede (take precedence over) state laws which (1) allow private persons or entities to restrict the possession of concealed firearms on their property, or (2) prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms on any State or local government property, installation, building, base, or park.

You must report any injury to a person or damage to property resulting from the discharge of a concealed handgun you carry to the Nebraska State Patrol within ten (10) days of the incident. Failure to file the report is a criminal offense. The form for making such a report will be available on the Nebraska State Patrol website at and can be downloaded for your use in complying with this requirement.

The relevant provisions of Section 922 of Title 18 of the United States Code have not been changed since January 1, 2005 which is the date used by the Nebraska statute. This law provides generally that the existence of any of the following items will disqualify an applicant:

conviction in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for more than one year (generally felony offenses);  fugitive from justice (subject of active criminal warrant);  unlawful user or addicted to a controlled substance under 21 U.S.C. 802 Section 102 (this does not necessarily require a conviction but must be within the past year); adjudication in a court proceeding as a mental defective or commitment to a mental institution – this includes a finding of Not Guilty By Reason of Insanity or Incompetent to Stand Trial in a criminal proceeding but does not include a temporary Emergency Protective Custody (EPC). (Note that there are no time limits on this section);  illegal or unlawful alien or lawful alien here on a nonimmigrant visa – this does not disqualify a person with an immigrant visa – “green card”. (This section is really irrelevant because the Nebraska permit requires that the applicant be a citizen.); discharge from the armed forces under dishonorable conditions – a dishonorable discharge or the “dismissal” of an officer from the armed forces adjudged by a general court-martial;  renounced United States citizenship;    subject of a court order prohibiting contact with intimate partner or child of partner if the order was issued after a hearing with actual notice and opportunity to participate and if the order includes a finding that the person represents a credible threat and explicitly prohibits the use of physical force. (These can be from any state and may be called by a variety of names including: restraining orders, domestic restraining orders, protective orders, or harassment orders. Whatever they are called, they must meet the same tests of a hearing with notice and opportunity, a finding of a threat, and a prohibition of use of physical force against an intimate partner or child of such partner.); or conviction in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.

Concealed handgun permit applicants must meet the requirements of Nebraska law, including but not limited to the criteria set forth in Nebraska Revised Statutes §69-2433. The following are a few of the most common reasons an application for a concealed handgun permit may be denied. This is not an exhaustive list:

Conviction for possession of a controlled substance within ten (10) years from your application date.

-This includes convictions for possession of marijuana- one ounce or less Conviction for violation of laws relating to firearms or unlawful use of a weapon within ten (10) years from your application.

-This includes convictions for carrying concealed any weapon noted in Nebraska Revised Statutes §28-1202 (including, but not limited to firearms, knives and brass knuckles.)

-This includes convictions for having a shotgun on a highway, convictions for having a loaded shotgun in your vehicle and convictions for shooting at wildlife from a highway or roadway.
• Conviction for a felony, no matter how old.
• Conviction for a crime of domestic violence, no matter how old
• Conviction for a crime of violence within ten (10) years from your application date.

– This includes convictions for any level of assault, including sexual assault


You can send us an email or give us a call and we'll get back to you, asap!


Log in with your credentials

Forgot your details?